Herman Melville and his wife, Lizzie Shaw Melville, visited the Mountain on August 12, 1863, staying at Milo Smith’s farm and boardinghouse (currently Blueberry Hill Farm). Melville’s signature is in the guest book of the farm. Unhappily many signatures were cut out (!) of the guest book by later visitors for their personal autograph collections. Presumably those cut out were of well-known people, but the vandalism means that we cannot know they were. Melville was apparently not then considered important enough to cut out.
Photographer Hans Bergmann
Date August 12, 1863
Location Milo Smith's Farm and Boardinghouse
Collection Morgan Bulkeley IV